OpenGPT-X is a collaborative project initiated by ten German organizations from various sectors, including business, science, and media. The primary objective is to develop a European counterpart to the renowned GPT-3 AI language model. This initiative is supported by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action, which has funded the Open GPT-X project within the Gaia-X funding competition with approximately 15 million euros.
The project is led by the Fraunhofer Institutes for Intelligent Analysis and Information Systems (IAIS) and for Integrated Circuits (IIS). The overarching goal is to create a vast AI language model tailored for Europe, emphasizing data protection and the diversity of European languages. Such a model is deemed essential to ensure Europe’s digital sovereignty and market independence in the face of international competitors who have already tapped into the disruptive potential of AI language technologies.
Features of OpenGPT-X
- Multilingual Capabilities: OpenGPT-X is designed to cater to the diverse linguistic landscape of Europe. This ensures that the AI model can understand and generate content in multiple European languages, making it more inclusive and versatile.
- Open Infrastructure: The model will be integrated into the open Gaia-X infrastructure. This allows businesses to utilize and share data and services without any charges. It also ensures that the data handling adheres to the highest European data protection standards.
- Innovative Language Application Services: OpenGPT-X is not just a language model; it’s a tool to drive innovative language application services that can benefit the European economy. Examples of such services include chatbots, digital assistants, and personalized media reports.
- Collaborative Approach: The project is a joint effort between various sectors, including science, business, and technology. This collaborative approach ensures a holistic development process, taking into account the needs and expertise of different stakeholders.
- High-Performance Computing: Institutions like the ZIH of TU Dresden and the Forschungszentrum Jülich will provide the necessary high-performance computing capacities. They will also focus on improving the performance of models and optimizing hardware usage.
- European Data Protection: One of the standout features of OpenGPT-X is its emphasis on European data protection standards. This ensures that user data is handled with the utmost care and in compliance with stringent European regulations.
- Integration with Gaia-X: The integration of OpenGPT-X with the Gaia-X infrastructure ensures a seamless and open environment for businesses to operate. This open infrastructure promotes data and service sharing, fostering a collaborative and innovative ecosystem.
- Funding and Support: The project has received substantial financial backing from the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action. This funding underscores the importance and potential of the OpenGPT-X project in shaping Europe’s digital future.